Pages

Tuesday, 24 February 2015

Nihon Shishu

Nihon shishu is a type of Japanese embroidery that I have been studying in my textiles class. I find it interesting and beautiful.

Japanese embroidery (nihon shishu in Japanese) is an embroidery technique that goes back more than 1600 years. In its early stages, Japanese Embroidery was only used for decorating items used during religious ceremonies. Over time, as shishu developed its own unique Japanese qualities and characteristics, it took on a more artistic purpose. According to historians, from the early Heian Period Japanese embroidery was primarily used for decorating costumes of the Ladies of the Court. During these early stages shishu was only available to a select group; only the highest ranks of society could afford such costly work. However, after a thousand years' sleep, this cultural heritage is now available to a wider audience.



I think that nihon shishu is a very pretty and delicate style of embroidery, I like the intricate patterns and the neatness of the shapes. The level of care that is taken to make these patterns is evident in the finished work. Also, the style works with a number of colour combinations – contrasting, complimentary, pastel shades or harsh clashes. 
Flower Circle, detailEmbroidered obi




(photos from Nihon Shishu page on www.flickr.com) 

2 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know more about what it is being used for now and how much it costs to buy something embroidered.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll get back to you on that, thanks for commenting! Apologies to followers for not posting for a while, we're working on something new which we will hopefully publish soon xx

    ReplyDelete